We are looking for a front-end engineer to join our team on a full-time contract in our office in Madrid or Porto.
Vizzuality is a world-leading data design agency based in Madrid, Cambridge, Porto and Washington DC. Our talented team of designers, engineers and scientists work together to end malaria, stop deforestation and tackle climate change. We do this by designing and developing data-driven tools and applications for international organizations who focus on conservation, development, open data and transparency. We build high-end applications and APIs to help these organizations serve data to new audiences.
We’re looking for people who are passionate about using their creativity and skills to make a difference in people’s lives and the environment. In return, we offer opportunities to work on innovative and potentially world-changing projects. We also offer a competitive salary, flexible schedules and many opportunities to learn and grow with a supportive and diverse team of specialists.
This job can be based at our Headquarters in Madrid or our new office in Porto. We seek a curious individual, passionate about internet and Open Source who wants to develop a career with us and learn new skills.
Daily tasks would include:
- Configuration and optimization of client-side libraries and frameworks.
- Development of interactive graphs, infographics and other visualization solutions using canvas, WebGL, and SVG.
- Development of online cartographies with a high degree of interactivity and features.
Some of the skills we would value:
- Deep understanding of the HTTP protocol.
- Experience using component based libraries and virtual DOM (i.e. React), unidirectional flow state management paradigms such as flux’s redux and server-side rendering.
- Experience designing and consuming RESTful web services. Familiarity with JSON standards such as JSONAPI
- Good knowledge of visualization libraries like D3 and Vega.
- Advanced use of common mapping tools and libraries like Leaflet, Carto, Mapbox, Google Maps and OpenStreetMaps
- Experience working with CSS pre-processors and knowledge of CSS architecture concepts. Experience with BEM CSS-modules and CSS-in-JS would be nice.
- Experience with testing techniques and writing tests.
- Good understanding of cross-browser compatibility issues and ways to work around such issues.
- Good understanding of browser rendering behavior and performance.
- Familiarity with GIT, automatic deployments and continuous integration techniques
- Familiarity with server-side frameworks and environments like Ruby on Rails or Node.js
- Passionate about learning and sharing newer technologies with the team
- Interest in usability and design aesthetics
- Basic understanding of web mapping concepts (projections, bounds, shapefiles, coordinates, tiles, vector features, rasters…)
- Basic understanding of data visualization concepts: Types of visualizations (bar, scatter, pie chart…) and their use
- Basic understanding of statistical concepts (means, modes, percentiles…)
- Ability to read, write and speak English
Send us a sample of your code and a short CV. As mentioned above fluent English is really important to us, so if it’s not your first language please demonstrate your abilities in your CV.
If you are interested please fill the application form and come have a coffee with us.