We’re looking for a full stack engineer to join our team.
Vizzuality is a world-leading data design agency based in Madrid, Cambridge and Washington DC. Our talented team of designers, engineers and scientists work together to end malaria, stop deforestation and tackle climate change. We do this by designing and developing data-driven tools and applications for international organizations who focus on conservation, development, open data and transparency. We build high-end applications and APIs to help these organisations serve data to new audiences.
We’re looking for people who are passionate about using their creativity and skills to make a difference to people’s lives and the environment. In return we offer opportunities to work on innovative and potentially world-changing projects. We also offer a competitive salary, flexible schedules and many opportunities to learn and grow with a supportive and diverse team of specialists.
This job will be based in our Headquarters in Madrid. We are looking for a curious individual who is as passionate about the internet and Open Source as they are about developing their own career and knowledge of new technology.
Daily tasks include but aren’t limited to the following:
- Functional design and data modeling.
- Advanced programming of server side and client side applications.
- Research of new tools, technologies and solutions.
- Addressing complex data, performance or design challenges.
- Configuration and optimization of server side libraries and frameworks.
- Basic infrastructure configuration and maintenance.
Additional tasks might include:
- Representing and talking about our work at conferences and events
- Liaising with fellow engineers, researchers, project managers and designers to find novel and creative ways to manage and display data in maps and visualizations
- Participating in the development of project proposals
- Mentoring your peers or giving talks to the rest of the team so they can learn from your experience
Some of the skills we would value:
- A passion for visual storytelling and creative hacking
- Proven experience of developing large scale applications and APIs
- Deep understanding of how the Web works, from client requests to server-side handling to front-end rendering
- A passion for learning and sharing your knowledge with the rest of the team
- Interest in usability and design aesthetics
- Experience with technologies such as Ruby on Rails 4+ and NodeJs
- Experience with PostgreSQL, PostGIS, MongoDB and other databases
- Experience of developing RESTful web services
- Experience of working with cloud services and platforms (AWS, Heroku, etc.)
- Familiar with test-driven development, automated deployment and continuous integration
- Good communication skills and an ability to give constructive feedback, both good and bad, and positively act on the feedback you receive yourself
- Familiar with agile development methodologies
- Familiar with Git or other version control systems
- A desire to make a difference to people’s lives and the environment
- Ability to read, write and speak English
Send us a sample of your code and a short CV. As mentioned above fluent English is really important to us, so if it’s not your first language please demonstrate your abilities in your CV.
If you are interested drop us a line to email@example.com or come have a coffee with us.